We are saved by faith when we trust that Jesus died for our sins. This is the gospel, or so we are taught. But what is faith? And does this accurately summarize the gospel? Matthew Bates presses the church toward a new precision: we are saved solely by allegiance to Jesus the king. Instead of faith alone, Christians must speak about salvation by allegiance alone. The book includes discussion questions for students, pastors, and church groups and a foreword by Scot McKnight. Published by Baker Academic, 2017. Endorsements: Gary Anderson, Michael Gorman, Michael Bird, Joshua Jipp, and Scot McKnight.
I’ve sought to go beyond the book or to re-express some of its central concepts in written and audio interviews.
- Euangelion (Michael Bird). Three-part interview series. April 23–29 , 2017. Part I, Part II, Part III
- The Logos Academic Blog (Tavis Bohlinger). Five-part interview series. May 11–July 13, 2017. Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV (esp. important), Part V
- Zwinglius Redivivus (Jim West). Four-part interview series. Aug. 31–Sept. 12, 2017. Part I, Part II, Part III (on my regrets), Part IV
National Radio Interviews
- “Kresta in the Afternoon.” Hosted by Al Kresta. The Ave Maria Radio Network. May 10, 2017. Archive.
- “Up for Debate,” hosted by Julie Roys. The Moody Radio Network. June 3, 2017. Archive.
- “Matthew Bates – ‘Faith’ means ‘Allegiance’ to King Jesus (EP-49).” The PaulCast. Hosted by Kurt Willems. April 25, 2017. Archive.
- “Matthew Bates, Salvation by Allegiance Alone.” Deeper Waters. Hosted by Nick Peters. May 20, 2017. Archive.
- “Episode 96- Matthew Bates: Salvation By Allegiance Alone.” Crackers and Grape Juice. Hosted by Jason Michelli. May 25, 2017. Archive.
- “Episode 164: Matthew W. Bates – Salvation by Allegiance Alone: Rethinking Faith, Works, and the Gospel of Jesus the King” The Shaun Tabatt Show. Hosted by Shaun Tabatt. Aug. 14, 2017. Archive.
- “Salvation by Allegiance Alone (Conversation with Dr. Matthew Bates) – KR 51”. Kingdom Roots. Hosted by Scot McKnight and Chez Robins. May 18, 2017. Archive.
- “Episode 67: Salvation by Allegiance Alone.” Veracity Hill. Hosted by Kurt Jaros. Oct 23, 2017. Archive.
- Danny Yenich, “Reframing our Theology and Evangelism” The Englewood Review of Books. Oct. 4, 2017. Featured Review.
- Kelly Kapic, “Do We Need a Stronger Word for ‘Faith’?” Christianity Today. July/August 2017, p. 90. Featured Review.
- Thomas Schreiner, “Saved by ‘Allegiance’ Alone? On a New Attempt to Revise the Reformation.” The Gospel Coalition. March 3, 2017. Featured Review.
- William W. Klein, “Review of Salvation by Allegiance Alone by Matthew W. Bates.” JBTS online.Featured Review.
There are too many blog reviews floating around on the web to list them all (sorry if I should have included yours and haven’t!), but here are a few of the more scholarly and/or comprehensive reviews.
- Scot McKnight (The Jesus Creed). Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII, Part VIII, Part IX, Part X, Books of the Year
- Nijay Gupta (Crux Sola). Review, (Some) Best of 2017
- Peter Leithart (First Things). Review.
- Patrick Schreiner (Transformed). Part I, Part II, Favorites from 2017
- Andrew Perriman (Postost). Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Hermenutical Parable
- Chad Thornhill (Guest review for The Jesus Creed). Review.
- T. C. Moore (Theological Graffiti). Review (comprehensive single review).
- Taylor Brown (The Christian Revolution). Review, Top Books of 2017
- Josh Washington (The Scripture Says). Review (comprehensive single review).
- James Bradford Pate. Review.
- Benjamin Lappenga (In All Things). Review (with a review of Kevin J. Vanhoozer’s Biblical Authority After Babel).
- Mark Wampler (Theologians Library). Review.
- C. C. I. Fenn (Thoughts from Canaan). Review.